Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Games 69 and 70: Bowie (37-31) @ Harrisburg Senators (23-46)

UPDATE (7:50): So much for that 9-game winning streak. The Baysox dropped the first game of the double header 3-5, as the Senators showed that they had finally learned to hit Radhames (noooo)... The next game should be starting any minute now.

After yesterday's rainout, the Baysox and Senators get to play a doubleheader today. There are a few changes though, as the Senators take the day off as an opportunity to send a different pitcher against Radhames Liz (Woooo!). Instead of Mike Hinckley (who will pitch game 2), LHP Mike O’Connor (0-0, 2.57 ERA) will toe the rubber in tonight's 1st game. O'Connor doesn't have much history with the Senators, and actually can hardly be found on his own team's game notes. From what I can tell, O'Connor has some potential (he was named the Washington system's pitcher of the year in 2005 according to his MiLB page), but has only appeared in 2 games this year. In those games he has pitched 7 innings, struck out 7, walked 2, and allowed 2 runs. There is a tiny soft spot in my heart for him because he attended GW. But, that isn't enough to overcome my excitement of Radhames.

In game 2 we actually do get to see Mike Hinckley (5-6, 4.99), who has been anything but consistent this year for Harrisburg. In his last outing, he lost to Liz, but was inconsistent within even the game itself, giving up 4 first inning runs, and then tossing 5 shutout innings. Bien Figueroa has decided to save today's scheduled starter, Fredy Deza, for tomorrow. I talked with Ryan Roberts, Baysox Director of Communications, and he assured me this wasn't a move made due to injury. Instead of Deza, we get to see Felix Romero (2-3, 3.26) come out of the 'pen for the start. Romero has shown some good control in relief appearances this year, earning 58 strikeouts in 38.2 innings pitched.

In one transaction that occurred today, the Baysox got RHP Bob McCrory from high-A Frederick. He's been pretty effective down there earning a 1.23 ERA in 22 innings with 22 K, 12 BB and a respectable WHIP of 1.27.

I will try to get out lineups tonight, but I make no promises, as I have some stuff to get ready before I fly to Chicago tomorrow. I hope to have a few posts up during my trip, and make sure to keep checking in.

Before I go, I hate to sound overconfident, but I really think this is a great chance for the Baysox to end the day on a 9-game winning streak. Liz (wooo) has shown some great skill lately, and Hinckley doesn't worry me. I've got a good feeling about this. Since WRGW can't travel to this series, be sure to catch the action here. You have to sign up, but it's free.

LET'S GO BAYSOX!

1 comments:

Andrew W said...

Hi, I see you're a GW student, I added a link to your blog on Colonial Hoops, it'd be great if you could do the same