Friday, June 1, 2007

It always is...

So you may ask yourself why a bunch of college kids with other jobs would volunteer hours to broadcast baseball games for an entire summer. For me, the answer is simple. Since I got into baseball in 1994 with the Seattle Mariners (yes, I am from Washington State), I have kind of had a dream to broadcast baseball. Really, there is nothing else I would rather do with my extra time than to head out to the ballpark and take in some of the best game ever invented. Some of us may continue careers in radio (I probably wont, I am a music major looking at music history), but all of us will have these memories of a summer spent with the real beautiful game (suck it soccer).

But, I found this post over at Jamie Mottram's Mr. Irrelevant blog (known locally as the Blogfather, Mottram also co-hosts Comcast Sports Net's Blog Show with DC Sports Bog author Dan Steinberg... a must-see every week). The premise: he asked bloggers and sports fans for their favorite live moments from different sports. This one really caught my eye:

David Pinto, Baseball Musings

A few years ago, when [Marlins catcher] Matt Treanor was with the Portland Sea Dogs, my friend Jim Storer and I were sitting in the front row at Dodd Stadium enjoying the contest between the Norwich Navigators and the the Sea Dogs. It was a perfect day for a game, sunny, but not too hot. At some point in the game, a pitch got by Treanor, and with no one on base, he ran to the wall where we were sitting to collect the ball. After picking it up, he looked at us and said, "Isn't it a great day for a ballgame?" then headed back to home plate.


Yes it is Matt, it's always a great day for a ballgame.


0 comments: